Bedford, United Kingdom
Senior Designer Location – Colworth Park, Bedford Full-Time/Part-Time/Job-Share About Unilever Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day. Unilever has more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Persil, Dove, Knorr, Domestos, Hellmann’s, Lipton, Wall’s, PG Tips, Ben & Jerry’s, Marmite, Magnum and Lynx. Faced with the challenge of climate change and the need for human development, we want to move towards a world where everyone can live well and within the natural limits of the planet. That’s why our purpose is ‘to make sustainable living commonplace” The future begins in Research & Development (R&D). In R&D, you’ll find out what consumers want and need, and then design the science and technology to make our innovations come to life. We have over 6,000 R&D employees designing, creating and developing exciting new products using innovative technologies - from scientists and product development experts to professionals such as hairdressers and chefs who have the skills to evaluate new products. You could be designing and developing new innovations for brands like TRESemmé, Magnum, Cornetto and Domestos – straight from your team to the shelves! At the core of our values is sustainability, and our teams are dedicated to making our products better for you, for our customers and for the world. We are committed to ensuring that all of our packaging is fully reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025, and that we are using more recycled content. To achieve this, we collaborate closely either within the various R&D teams, with other Unilever colleagues like Marketeers and the Supply Chain, and with leading scientific experts from around the world. INTRODUCTION There is life outside of London! Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food products with sales in over 190 countries and reaching 2 billion consumers a day with more than 400 brands found in homes around the world, including Wall’s, Ben & Jerry’s and Magnum. The future begins with Design. As a Senior Designer in R&D, you’ll find out what consumers want and need, and then design the relevant “experience” to bring our innovations to life. This can be done though exploiting the physical pack - shape, colour, textures and beyond this format, through the creation of delightful consumer experiences that consider cost, manufacturability and environmental impact. The Senior Designer role is based in Colworth Park ,Bedford in our R&D development center where Design works alongside internal and external ecosystem partners to keep thinking fresh and future fit. JOB PURPOSE The main purpose of your role as Senior Designer will be to help lead the project teams through the creative process to deliver brilliant and meaningful products. You will coordinate and facilitate design projects from the co-creation and identification of early opportunities using “design thinking tools” and practices, to prototyping concepts and leading to the manufacturing and launch of products. By connecting functions, touchpoints, competencies, and external partners, you will bring significant design impact to our brands and portfolio growth. To deliver the greatest value for both the consumer and our brands, your job will be to elevate design quality and ensure that the brand’s design ambition is met in a project’s outcome. This is a unique opportunity to bring design thinking and doing to the heart of R&D process, connecting insight with technology and brand stories, to provoke Foods and Refreshment thinking and bring to life exciting new product experiences. DESIGN AT UNILEVER Joining Unilever Design means working within a dedicated and ambitious design team on the development of high impact brand innovation. Unilever designers are strong and passionate thinkers and doers who are constantly seeking to improve purpose in terms of brand, people, sustainability, technology & business growth. As a Senior Designer in Unilever Design, you will collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams and external partners to create value and meet consumer needs with convincing and meaningful design solutions. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guide project teams across the total design spectrum, from front end to manufacture, using Unilever best practice, design thinking tools and methodologies.
- Gather qualitative information relevant for design through market and stakeholder assessment.
- Use design software including 3D CAD to create the future and support initiation and coordination of feasibility concepts & prototypes.
- Take ownership in the completion of agency briefing and guide the design delivery of external partners to handover of the final design.
- Ensure effective and efficient project coordination from end to end and make certain that projects are delivered complete and on time.
- Make design opportunities, propositions, and solutions concise and understandable across functions.
- Connect across functions to identify business viable concepts and design opportunities
- Assist in the creation of brand books and design guides.
- Establish strong organization-wide network and peers to inject design in the corporate environment and create holistic design solutions.
- Design thinker and doer
- Strong bias for action
- Entrepreneurs’ mindset
- Good verbal and visual communication
- Accountability & responsibility
- Passion, craft and attention to detail in all you do
- Champion the consumer
- Demonstrate confidence & resilience within uncertainty
- Applied working knowledge of 2D / 3D cad software for building visual / physical design concepts and rendering.
- Can comfortably write, facilitate and capture design workshops with stakeholders of all levels.- This will be 60% of your time.
- Ability to distil consumer understanding and needs into opportunity areas for design
- Can write and articulate design briefs to agency partners in English language to a high standard.
- Applied knowledge of design disciplines, ways of working and project management.
- Comfortable handling multiple projects at the same time.
- Experienced in collaboration with design agencies and suppliers.
- Knowledge in material properties, processing, and manufacturing processes an advantage.
- Knowledge in sustainable / circular design is a clear advantage.
- Understanding and application of Semiotics and market codes an advantage.