The Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP +), with its Headquarters in Amsterdam, operates for people living with HIV across the world. Through the Global Advocacy Agenda, GNP+ aims for universal access to treatment, care and prevention services; decreased stigma and discrimination; and an improvement in the meaningful involvement of people living with HIV.
Our vision is a world where all people living with HIV are free from stigma and discrimination to have our rights recognised, our dignity respected and have universal access to treatment and care.
The Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP+) was created almost 30 years ago – led by people living with HIV, for people living with HIV. Today, 38 million people are living with HIV and a third of them still don’t have access to antiretroviral treatment. Our communities continue to face high levels of stigma, discrimination, and criminalisation.
Our work is not done.
GNP+ is recruiting an Executive Director or two Co-Directors in a job share to lead us in the next phase of our journey. Working with our Board and staff,
You will further our mission to improve the quality of life for all people living with HIV.
Leadership, Strategy and Networks
- Strengthen the meaningful engagement of people living with HIV across our work
- Position the critical role of networks and groups of people living with HIV worldwide (including in peer support, demand creation and advocacy.)
- Represent the needs and amplify the voices of all communities of people living with HIV in global and regional spaces
- Build and strengthen alliances across communities and social justice issues, including health, gender, and race.
- Lead the development and implementation of our new strategic plan
- Ensure that GNP+ is prepared for new challenges and can adapt to the current environment on HIV and global health as well as contribute to broader issues of social, racial, gender and environmental justice
- Safeguard the reputation of the organization by ensuring that organizational principles of excellence, transparency, diversity and social responsibility are upheld at all times
Programmes, Advocacy and Communications
- Work with the Head of Programmes to ensure impactful, effective and accountable programmes and advocacy that align with and deliver to the objectives and vision set out in our strategic plan
- Develop and strengthen trusted alliances and work collaboratively with other global, regional and national networks of people living with HIV and key populations to advocate for the rights of marginalised, excluded and criminalised communities
- Champion an authentic, community-led and progressive voice for GNP+ across all our communication and widen our reach with our members, media, donors, and other global stakeholders
Resource mobilisation and External Relations
- Lead on developing and implementing GNP+’s resource mobilisation strategy to help diversify and increase our funding base
- Lead on developing and maintaining strong relationships with funders and other partners to deliver on GNP+’s strategy.
Finance, People and Organisational Development
- Line manage the Senior Management Team, and provide clear direction, decision-making and support to staff, ensuring their active participation and engagement
- Take overall responsibility for finance and operations, ensuring effective financial management, risk management, compliance with statutory obligations and funder requirements, and HR policies in place in line with GNP+’s values and best practice
- Oversee the effective and transparent management and use of our funds to deliver our goals and to ensure fiscal stability and long-term sustainability and financial accountability
- Lead and model a working culture that draws upon feminist principles including sharing of power, humility and inclusion
Governance and Accountability
- Work with Board members to develop and maintain a strong Board which meets the organisation’s targets in terms of Board diversity, skills and experience
- Supporting the Board to carry out strategic oversight and ensure transparency and accountability to donors and communities
- Engage Board members in GNP+’s work in and outside of Board meetings
- Engaging with and taking responsibility for seeking appropriate development opportunities personally and taking part in learning
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions
- A demonstrable passion for GNP+’s vision, mission and values – in particular, the meaningful engagement of people living with HIV in decision-making
- A history or lived experience and deep connections with people living with HIV and marginalised, excluded and criminalised communities, especially in the Global South
- A successful track record of building and delivering a strategic vision that inspires and mobilises individuals within the organisation as well as the community of people living with HIV.
- A strong understanding of and commitment to human rights, social, gender, racial and environmental justice, and intersectionality (being an active ally to marginalised groups)
- Experienced senior manager with a strong work ethic, great interpersonal skills, a solution-focused approach who is able to demonstrate an empowering and collaborative approach and support virtual teams across different cultures, backgrounds and time zones
- A proven ability to build, motivate and enthuse a senior team towards the delivery
- of key goals, whilst creating effective frameworks for holding people to account and inspiring a high-performing culture
- Experience of leading donor relations, raising funds from diverse sources and overseeing multiple income streams, projects and funding cycles
- A skilled communicator with the ability to have meaningful, strategic discussions and build partnerships with key stakeholders to achieve our goals
- A strategic approach to advocacy and the ability to influence policy and practice at multiple levels and knowledge and understanding of the global landscape that GNP+ is seeking to influence
- Strong commitment to sharing power and working with integrity and humility to hear and include diverse perspectives
- Experience of working with or serving on a Board of Directors in the not-for-profit context and familiarity with issues such as safeguarding, legal and financial compliance.
We have partnered with Roleshare to enable individuals to connect, and combine skills, strengths, and experiences to come together and apply for a fulfilling shared role that allows for more flexibility and balance at work and in life.
If you’re looking to be part of a leadership team committed to the success of this role, while maintaining your flexibility, we encourage you to apply as a pair or as an individual.
What do you need to submit?
Please submit a 2 to 3-page CV and a cover letter (no more than 2 pages) telling us:
How you think your experience makes you the best candidate(s) for this job?
What we offer
We offer a competitive salary and benefits including communication, healthcare and attractive pension contributions.
Flexible working styles including home working, remote working, job share opportunities and compressed weeks.
Due to COVID-19, GNP+ staff are currently working remotely and will return to workplaces when it is safe to do so. The Executive Director or at least one of the Co-Directors will be based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. We also have an office in Cape Town, South Africa. We will reimburse basic relocation expenses for the successful candidate(s).